Thursday, May 8, 2008

Day 3 - The Big Chemo

Well today was the big one. Our appointments are usually at 9am but today we had to be there to start by 8:30am. Haven actually wanted to walk to the doctor instead of wheelchair today. I was surprised but happy.

We started drinking our water and tea around 6am. Haven can down a 12oz bottle of water like a shot. She loves these days because we don't say no or stop. We got to the hospital and they checked her hydration - again she is well over hydrated and we can start immediately.

The clowns came to visit today. Last time she was too scared and pretty drugged up to want them around. Today she talked to them a little - she was working on a card for Dr. Cooper when they came in so she wasn't a big fan of having to stop. But we did get a picture.

Nothing crazy with the Cytoxin today. When we got home from the hospital she had a pretty good fever going. Her hair was soaked and she was so red all over. Got her on the couch and let her sleep it off. Around 8pm she started to wake up out of it. In time for meds and getting ready for bed.

We have the Zofran ready. She takes it every 6 hours for the next 24 hours because the Cytoxin makes you very sick. Then after 24 hours we can ease up unless she feels like she's going to be sick. It helps her a lot. This is actually one of my favorite meds with all the chemo she gets.

Honestly, I know that tomorrow she will be ok (or I feel she will) it's the weekend that has me concerned. The side effects of Cytoxin take up to 36 hours to kick in. So this weekend we will stay at home and take it easy. We'll do a slow Mother's Day.

Haven's cousin Baby Stryder and Aunt Katie are coming in to visit for the weekend. I'm sure that will be about as much excitement as she can handle.

1 comment:

  1. I'm back you have a great Mother's Day you deserve it. It's good Styder is coming maybe she will play with him. Mist; thanks again for this update on Havey. It helps a lot to know what is going on. I miss seeing all of you.
    Candy

    ReplyDelete

ROHHAD in Ireland

 I received this story in my email today. It still shocks me that my daughter has ROHHAD. It's a horrible disease that destroys a child&...