Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Prednisone Confusion

Last Thursday while at the hospital, I received Haven’s at home medication list, which we receive every time we are in there. It just confirms the medication she is taking at home and what her doses are for each one. Well – this one was confusing!!!

There were three different areas of Prednisone…..each with different doses and different dates. Then the nurse hand wrote different dates on there and crossed out the typed dates.

Doctors orders:

16.2MG daily, 8.1MG=2.7ML 2xday, 6/11 to 6/16 on odd days
21MG once daily on odd days thru 6/9
27MG=4.5ML 2xday, once daily on even days to 6/16

So where does this make sense. With the crazy weekend we had and after a week of doctors I usually don’t want to learn anything new. MRIs freak me out more than anything and I was by myself at this one. So that makes me more freaked out.

Monday morning (after being stuck in an accident for 2 ½ hours on the 95) I called the doctor’s office to talk with Katie – Haven’s nurse. I went through the paperwork with her and she looked up Haven’s file. We were both confused AND it seems as though I was supposed to start the new dosing last Thursday! It doesn’t clearly state that.

Katie and I were on the phone for 30 minutes deciphering the doses for the next month. I am happy to report we are tapering off the Prednisone – all other meds will stay at the same dose for the next year.

June 9 – 15: odd days – 4.5ML and even days 2.7ML
June 16 – 23: odd days – 4.5ML and even days 1.8ML
June 24 – July 1: odd days 4.5ML and even days 1ML
July 1, 08 until March 11, 2009: odd days 4.5ML

No comments:

Post a Comment

ROHHAD in Ireland

 I received this story in my email today. It still shocks me that my daughter has ROHHAD. It's a horrible disease that destroys a child&...