Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Taylor Brooks Foundation and Vassago Cycles

So we are always busy and we’re constantly doing something. I’m not sure we have “free” time….as some might say. I have 5 sites that I maintain – one being Haven’s. But there are a few things we don’t usually discuss on here – which is our donations to causes. Working with bikes we donate many frames to many races across the USA. We donated a custom pink frame to the American Cancer Society and we also donated a frame to the Taylor Brooks Foundation. I wanted to share with you a bit of the story of The Life Bike.

On Friday, July 13, 2007, 6 days before her 14th birthday, Taylor was diagnosed with Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumor cancer. This is a very rare type of cancer and is usually found in boys so it is very unusual for it to happen to a girl. She had treatments that went 5 days in a row, each day was approximately 6 hours of intense chemotherapy. She did this every 3 weeks for 4 rounds – a total of 20 days of chemotherapy.
Taylor worked to support her treatment hospital through fund raising and patient parties as well as acting a a poster child for a blood drive during her treatment. Sadly Taylor lost her battle with cancer and won a place in heaven just after 3AM on April 1, 2008 while her parents held her with her sister by her side.
While we are unable to donate money to causes, we were able to donate something that raised money for the Taylor Brooks Foundation. In early 2008, we were contacted by Dirty Spokes Productions and asked if we'd donate a Vassago frame for a raffle for childhood cancer. IMMEDIATELY we said YES! Soon after we heard that one of the Vassago bike shops, Addictive Cycles, was also going to donate a Vassago frame. Well yesterday I received an email from Jeff Brooks, Taylor's father. Here it is:

Dear Dirty Spokes, Addictive Cycles and Vassago,

All of you may or may not remember me. My name is Jeff Brooks. I rode in the Conyers event to raise money for the foundation started in my daughter Taylor's honor. All of you were gracious and donated your time, support, money and frames for raffles. The day was a giant success!
The Taylor Brooks Foundation was the beneficiary of approximately $12,000 that day. In the first year of operation because of the help people and organizations like yourself have provided the foundation has;

- delivered new patient diagnosis kits to the AFLAC Children's Cancer centers at Egleston, Scottish and the bone marrow transplant area.
- delivered holiday gift bags to Scottish Rite on Mothers Day, Fathers Day, 4th of July
- Given a Christmas party at all of the facilities above.
- AND COMMITTED to Sponsor a new fellow from Emory University to work in the AFLAC Children's Cancer group for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.

I found the email below tonight as I was catching up on personal messages. I think you all will be touched. I plan to contact Seth and Linda and help them get started with this incredible project.

I would like first THANK EACH OF YOU for the success and the seed that has been planted. I would also like to ask each of you for your ideas on how we could take this idea of the Owen's national?
WHAT IS THE OWEN'S PLAN?????
see.....below.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

ROHHAD in Ireland

 I received this story in my email today. It still shocks me that my daughter has ROHHAD. It's a horrible disease that destroys a child&...