Saturday, October 18, 2008

Haven status

The twice daily meds

Haven is still fighting this infection. We soak her feet two times a day and she gets the above medications twice a day. We do the eye drops twice a week which pretty much make her blind. She has been sleeping A LOT. I've never known her to take 2 or 3 naps in a day. We took her to the Podiatrist at JH and they want to do surgery on her toe. They said with the chemo and steroids it will continue to remain infected.

Some good stuff: Haven has been doing workbooks so much with Lauren and in the evening with one of us that she is progressing amazingly in her home studies. I know she's only 4 but she LOVES to learn. We buy 3 or 4 workbooks a week.

I was at Barnes and Nobles the other week and I was going through all the workbooks. The problem now is that she has done most of them in the Pre-K age group (3 - 5). The B&N lady sat down and talked to Haven for a couple of minutes about what she would like to learn then came over to me and said "I believe you should look at the 1st grade level and possibly the 2nd grade level if her dialect is any indication". So I kinda thought about it and moved to that section.

Haven has now been working in the 1st grade workbooks for a couple of weeks. I came home one day and she had been working on her math with Lauren. Well I need to see it to believe it. How can a 4 year old do math. So we went through a few pages in her book. She can add! She wouldn't even use her fingers. I tried to get her to count with her fingers but instead, she just looks up at the ceiling, thinks about it for a minute, and comes up with the answer. I was AMAZED!

So we have now started subtraction and she is starting to be able to tell time and count money. I am absolutely astonished at how smart this little girl is. She told me again that someday she is going to be a Princess Nurse like Dr. Cooper and help lots of kids. I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ROHHAD in Ireland

 I received this story in my email today. It still shocks me that my daughter has ROHHAD. It's a horrible disease that destroys a child&...