Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Scooter Close Bro

Kevin Barkley
1974 - 2021


Wow. I never expected to receive the phone call I received on Valentines Day morning. Your sister called me, I've never talked to her in my life.  Instantly I felt my heart being ripped out. Every word was a blur after she said you passed away. 

But I can still see you smiling and laughing when I close my eyes. There is no way you can be gone. A song in the grocery store made me stop and smile because I felt it was you.

We had just talked last week. We were talking about Kendall being a mom, you wanting to make sure her husband knows he's lucky, and that old man Kris is a grandpa. 

We've talked many times about my sister passing away in 2019 suddenly from cancer. That destroyed me. Now you have gone. 

You were Kris' brother. You were closer to him than anyone for over 30 years. In 1999, you invited me into that family and you will forever be my little oldest brother. 

So many laughs. So many cries. So much craziness. 

I'll never forget Arrowhead 1999.....packed up like Red Dawn and screaming at the moon with the neighbors. 

In 2001 we all moved to Corona. We coined the term scooter close. We vowed to always be scooter close. In my heart we always were. 

I just want to share some memories. You always loved my scrap books. 

1996 - all the rowdy boys at it again.  I have this photo framed. Such an amazing bond right there.


Always making everyone laugh. 


You were always very protective and made me feel like a sister. We could tell each other anything. No judgment. You have and always will be my true best friend. I don't make friends very easy but you were the exception. 


In a few months from now I will have been married to this man for 20 years. We never could have imagined with our backgrounds of divorced families that we'd last. Having you be in our family and still watching over us was crucial. 


This....the three of you...were the backbone. I could never have asked for better friends and a stronger support system. 


New Years Eve.....shooting arrows down my hallway. Omg...thanks for reminding me of that the other day. Oh....setting your jeans on fire on my balcony.  Only to wake up and find just the metal in burnt ashes. 🤣😂🤣  Thankfully you were scooter close. 


This picture says everything. All of you are my heart. The biggest group of crazy brothers I could ever want. 


Getting up early and snowboarding all day. I never would have even tried it if you hadn't convinced me that catching the front edge is cool and fun. 🤣


My toast to you Barkley. You were one of a kind. You already knew you were forever in our hearts. I'm so happy I have had the last 22 years to know you and love you. 


Scooter Close Bro. 🥰


No comments:

Post a Comment

ROHHAD in Ireland

 I received this story in my email today. It still shocks me that my daughter has ROHHAD. It's a horrible disease that destroys a child&...