Saturday, February 13, 2021

Pickling leads to Sprouting

 So....with the new mindset of not relying on stores (for everything) and an overabundance of eggs we started pickling. We pickle everything now....onions, pickles, eggs....as much as we can.


Well...then pickling led to sprouting. Now I sprouting everything. It started as a way to give the chickens healthy treats.  Now we eat them with everything. The below was my first go at lentil sprouts.  

When you sprout lentils the phenolic content  increases by a whopping 122%. Phenolic compounds are a group of antioxidant plant compounds that may provide anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, and anti-allergenic properties. 


This is day one.  After soaking overnight and rinsing in the morning we have small tails sticking out. 


Day 2...you can see the sprouts really pushing their way out!


Well....Day 3!  I'm getting very excited. PS: Flaxseed sprouts did not go as well! 🤣

Moving into Day 4 was a big jump. Plus I hide them in the pantry so they stay in the dark. 


So now we're getting into the final day. I move them to indirect sunlight to allow them to turn green. 


Oh yeah!  Ready to eat. These little babies are filled with protein and vitamins. Great especially when you can't garden in the winter!  

Not too shabby. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

ROHHAD in Ireland

 I received this story in my email today. It still shocks me that my daughter has ROHHAD. It's a horrible disease that destroys a child&...