Friday, August 29, 2008

Really sick....

Well from the last round of chemo Haven was super sick for 2 weeks straight. Throwing up and fevers....severe infections in three of her toes and a very bad bone thrush. This week chemo was no better.

After 3 weeks she still has infections in 3 of her toes. We bought the foot bath, took the Amoxicillin, and cleaned every night with peroxide. Still about every other day she would have green puss coming out from her toe nails. Normally a hangnail wouldn't bother anyone...but someone without an immune system it's a major issue.

Both of her big toes have been swollen beyond belief. I bought her new open toed shoes (which I am not a fan of at all) so they wouldn't squish down on her toes. I bought her some new cute socks but after a day of wearing them she was in so much pain we've gone back to bare feet.

She now has new medicine for the infections and this medicine must really be bad. We have a hard time getting her to keep it down. She almost throws up every time she takes it - and that's 3 times a day. It's a powder we have to mix with applesauce. Well that made her not want to eat applesauce again. So we tried pudding....nope - didn't work. Now she and her dad have come up with a crazy mix for the medicine:

Strawberry Jelly
Lemon juice
Sweetner
Medicine

This is a little better...she gets the chills really bad when taking it and the gag reflex kicks in. So I have Crystal Light ready to wash it down and then another snack. There is also a cream we have to put on all 3 toes and then we bandage them up for the night.

The past 2 nights since chemo have been really bad. I know she will wake me up at 2am to potty and then again at 3am soaking wet from breaking a fever. The past 2 nights she has been completely soaked and her hair dripping as if from the shower. I get her changed, change the sheets and pillow and dry her off. Then that can usually get her sleeping until about 5:30am when she wakes me again.

We were able to clear up the blisters with her medicine. That was one good thing that has happened.

She has still not grown any - still only 39 inches - same as last November. But they said she will not grow until we are done with chemo.

Her sleep walking has started up again and I sometimes catch her running through the halls and bedrooms. She has no idea where she is and is just spaced out.

We're doing as best as we can with her and she gets a lot of special treatment....Lauren is here twice a week and that is the biggest treat for her. She absolutely loves her friend coming over and gets all dressed up when she sees her.

I have a few pictures to post tomorrow. Love to all - M

4 comments:

  1. hang in there!

    Prayers and hugs from CO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mist; thanks for the update. I feel so bad for Havey; I understand some of the sweating I am having major problems and remember when I had to take meds with applesauce? I also have to wear open toed shoes; problems after the stupid foot surgery I know the pain. Havey is just too young to have to deal with all of this. Mr. G-Pa Honey says her toes are a little better are they? I was very upset when I heard about this problem and now the new medicine; Duh! What about Havey's weight has that changed? Tell Havey GGma and C are thinking about her everyday and looking forward to pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tell little Haven that pudding and applesauce makes uncle Brian from Ohio sick too! I hate that crap! give her something cool like M&M's or a Snickers BAR! HAHA!

    much love and respect to you and your husband and your beautiful daughter!

    signed... your pal
    ~Brian Fugett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...thanks Brian! Luckily we are done with that crap.....I'll give you a shout soon..just been buried!

    ReplyDelete

ROHHAD in Ireland

 I received this story in my email today. It still shocks me that my daughter has ROHHAD. It's a horrible disease that destroys a child&...